The Hills Of California Play London
The Hills Of California play comes to the West End in January 2024 for a strictly limited season. Jez Butterworth reunites with Sam Mendes to bring The Hills of California to London’s Harold Pinter theatre. Click here to book your tickets.
The Hills of California Tickets
This house. It’s called “Sea View”. It’s just I’ve looked out of every window, and you can’t. You can’t see the sea. Blackpool, 1976. The summer is scorching, and it’s the driest that the seaside town has been in 200 years. The beaches are packed, and the hotels are heaving. Meanwhile, far away from the choc- ice and donkey rides, the Webb sisters make their way through the sweltering backstreets, to their mother’s run-down guest house, where she lies dying upstairs.
The Hills Of California Play at Harold Pinter Theatre
Continuing their collaboration after the critically acclaimed, award-winning success of The Ferryman, Jez Butterworth, renowned for his work on Jerusalem, teams up with Sam Mendes, the director of The Lehman Trilogy, to present The Hills of California in London at the Harold Pinter Theatre starting on January 27, 2024, for a limited run. The Hills of California tickets are sure to be in high demand, so make sure to book The Hills of California tickets now!
Jez Butterworth is an exceptional storyteller with a talent for creating complex, multi-dimensional characters that resonate with audiences on a personal level. Butterworth’s exploration of a wide range of themes, from the human condition and personal redemption to broader societal issues, has helped him achieve legendary status. The remarkable trio of Jerusalem, The River, and The Ferryman are a testament to his skills as one of the leading playwrights of today.
- The Hills of California sees the Webb sisters return to the family guesthouse to bid farewell to their dying mother in what promises to be another compelling and emotionally resonant Jez Butterworth masterpiece.
- Be one of the first to see this brand-new production, which brings the hottest summer of your life to London for the very first time!
- Director Mendes, who won an Oscar in 1999 for American Beauty, is the same mastermind behind James Bond films Skyfall and Spectre.
- The Hills of California in London is slated to be one of the most highly-anticipated productions of 2024.
The Hills of California London Creatives
- Book – Jez Butterworth
- Director – Sam Mendes
- Designer – Rob Howell
- Lighting Designer – Natasha Chivers
- Sound designer, Composer, and Arranger – Nick Powell
- Choreographer – Ellen Kane
- Musical Supervisor and Arranger – Candida Caldicot
- Casting Director – Amy Ball
- Young Person’s Casting Director – Verity Naughton
- Associate Director – Zoé Ford Burnett.
Set in 1976’s Blackpool, The Hills of California takes place in the driest summer in 200 years, with beaches and hotels packed to capacity. Far from the tourist thoroughfares, the Webb Sisters cram into the guest house of their former home as their mother lies dying.
On 11 October 2023, it was announced that the play would make its world premiere at the Harold Pinter Theatre in London’s West End running for a strictly limited run from 27 January to 15 June 2024. It will be directed by Sam Mendes, designed by Rob Howell, lighting design by Natasha Chivers, sound design, composer, and arranger Nick Powell; choreographed by Ellen Kane and musical supervisor and arrangement by Candida Caldicot. It will be produced by Sonia Friedman Productions and Neal Street Productions.
Panton Street, London, SW1Y 4DN