The Lion King Musical London
Disney’s The Lion King Musical at the Lyceum Theatre in London FAQs
1. What is The Lion King musical about?
The Lion King stage musical is based on the 1994 Disney animated film and tells the story of Simba, a young lion cub who is to succeed his father, Mufasa, as King. After Simba’s uncle Scar murders Mufasa, Simba flees into exile, returning years later to reclaim his throne.
2. How long has The Lion King been running at the Lyceum Theatre London?
The Lion King has been running at the Lyceum Theatre London since 1999, making it one of the West End’s longest-running musicals.
3. What are the show times for The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre London?
The musical typically has evening shows Tuesday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m., with matinee performances on Thursday and Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
4. How long is the run time of The Lion King musical?
The Lion King London stage show runs approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, including one intermission.
5. What age is The Lion King musical appropriate for?
The show is family-friendly and recommended for ages 6 and up. Children under 3 will not be admitted.
6. Are there special effects in the musical like the animated movie?
Yes, the show is known for its imaginative use of costumes, puppets, masks, and puppetry to recreate the film’s iconic imagery and scenes using theatrical magic.
7. What makes The Lion King London musical unique?
The use of puppets, masks, costumes and choreography to portray animals, grasslands and the African landscape makes this Broadway-style musical a one-of-a-kind theatrical experience. The show is also known for its universal themes and music by Elton John and Tim Rice.
8. How much are tickets for The Lion King musical?
Ticket prices vary greatly based on date, seat location, and availability. Prices range from £20 for limited-view seats to over £130 for premium locations.
9. Are there lotteries, rush tickets, or discounts available?
Yes, there are daily lotteries for £20 seats and limited rush tickets released at 10 a.m. on the day of each performance. Discounts are available for certain groups and by purchasing well in advance.
10. Where is the best place to buy tickets?
For the best deals, purchase directly through the Lyceum Theatre box office. You can also get tickets through ticket agents.
11. Is The Lion King London musical appropriate for children?
Yes, the show is very popular with families. There are some intense moments, but nothing too frightening for most children ages 6 and up.
12. What are the most popular songs in The Lion King musical?
The most popular songs include “Circle of Life,” “Hakuna Matata,” “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” and “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King.”
13. What makes the Lyceum Theatre London a good venue for The Lion King?
The Lyceum Theatre has a grand proscenium arch stage well-suited for the show’s elaborate sets, costumes and theatrical effects. The 2,000-seat capacity provides an intimate experience.
14. Does the musical differ from the Lion King movie?
The musical follows the same story but expands upon characters and songs. Additional songs were written for the stage adaptation. The visuals differ as well.
15. How do you get to the Lyceum Theatre in London?
The Lyceum Theatre London is located on Wellington Street, near Covent Garden. The nearest tube stations are Covent Garden and Charing Cross.
16. Is there wheelchair access at the Lyceum Theatre London?
Yes, the Lyceum Theatre London has accessibility options including wheelchair seats, assisted listening devices, and restrooms equipped for wheelchair users.
17. Are service animals allowed in the Lyceum Theatre?
Yes, trained guide dogs and service animals are permitted in the Lyceum Theatre London. Notify the box office when booking tickets.
18. Is there a dress code for The Lion King London musical?
There is no strict dress code, but most patrons wear semi-formal attire. Anything that supports enjoying the show is wonderful.
19. When do tickets for The Lion King go on sale?
Tickets are already on sale for performances until 2024.
20. Does the cast change during the run?
The cast changes periodically like most long-running Broadway and West End productions. Principal leads typically commit to a contracted period of months or a year.
21. Is food or drink allowed in the Lyceum Theatre?
Outside food and drink are not permitted. There are bars at the theatre that serve refreshments.
22. Is The Lion King London musical touring or performing anywhere else?
The Lion King musical continues to tour nationally and internationally. It is Broadway’s highest-grossing musical and has performed in over 50 cities globally.
23. What Covid-19 safety measures are in place?
Based on current guidelines, the Lyceum Theatre London has enhanced cleaning procedures, hand sanitation stations, and optional mask policies. Check the website for the latest protocols.
24. Is there merchandise available for The Lion King musical?
Yes, souvenir merchandise including programs, t-shirts, magnets, keychains, and more are sold at the Lyceum Theatre.
25. How can I purchase official Lion King merchandise online?
Official show merchandise can be purchased online through outlets like the Disney Store, shopDisney, and the Lyceum Theatre website.